Get the best available fare by buying your tickets in advance
By purchasing an Advance ticket, you’re able to choose the best time to travel at the lowest available fare and reserve yourself a seat (on selected trains).
Available on Intercity services between Norwich and London Liverpool Street, and connecting branch line services, Advance tickets are the best way to ensure unbeatable cost, convenience and comfort.
Tickets are available for purchase from 12 weeks before travel, and can be booked up until 1800 the day before travel (although please allow 5 days if you are purchasing online or over the phone, to allow for postage).
Why book in ‘Advance’?
- You have the power to choose the lowest available price for each leg of your journey;
- You book to travel at your specified time;
- It’s cost effective with fares starting at £8 single between London and Norwich (depending on availability and time of travel);
- Railcard and Child discounts apply to all Advance fares;
- You can check out our First Class Advance fares; they are often cheaper than you might expect;
- Get the best deal, book well in advance and travel at off-peak times;
- For most services, a free seat reservation is included.
Check details and book early as Advance tickets are subject to limited availability and Advance fares will not be available on every train.
On what routes are Advance tickets available?
Advance tickets are available for travel for many journeys on Greater Anglia including:
- Intercity services between Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester and London;
- Journeys to and from the branch lines in Norfolk, Suffolk and north Essex which connect into the Intercity services, including Sheringham, Cromer, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Wymondham, Saxmundham, Felixstowe, Bury St Edmunds, Harwich Town and intermediately;
- Many intermediate journeys also have Advance fares such as Colchester - Great Yarmouth or Chelmsford - Norwich;
- Through journeys are available on Advance tickets to most other parts of Great Britain, either via London or via Peterborough.
It’s possible to buy additional tickets for your onward travel. For travel around London, simply purchase a One Day Travelcard for the Zones you wish to travel in. For Central London, including the West End, South Bank, Camden Town, Earls Court and Greenwich, a Zones 1-2 ticket is sufficient. For Underground/DLR travel from Stratford, however, a Zones 1-4 ticket would be required (Zones 1-3 in the morning peak).
For other towns and cities, with PlusBus you can add unlimited bus travel at your starting point and/or your destination.
16-25 (Young Persons), Family & Friends (Family), Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders can save 1/3 on all Standard Class Advance tickets.
In addition, 16-25, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders also save 1/3 on all First Class Advance fares.
How to buy your Advance ticket
Simply enter your journey details into the ‘buy train tickets’ search engine to find the cheapest Advance fares available.
You can receive your tickets by First Class post (please allow 5 days for delivery); collect your pre-paid tickets from ticket vending machines (TVMs) at participating stations.
To ensure you are getting the best ticket for you, see our tips for getting the best deals on Advance tickets.
Over the phone
Booking tickets over the phone couldn’t be easier. Simply call the Greater Anglia Contact Centre on 0845 600 7245.
If you’re having any trouble booking tickets visit our contact us page for further details on how to get in touch - our trained staff will always find the best ticket for you.
Please see Advance purchase terms and conditions.