Abellio Greater Anglia completes major improvements to Needham Market rail station
An £700K project to overhaul of the platforms, subway and stairs at Needham Market railway station is now complete.
Representatives from mid-Suffolk district council, led by Cllr Wendy Marchant, visited the station on Monday 27th July to view the improvements carried out by Abellio Greater Anglia.
The works took place over a 48-hour period between 11th April and 13th April, taking the opportunity to carry out the work while the station was temporarily closed due to engineering works being carried out by Network Rail.
The platform improvement works have included:
- Removal of the old life-expired concrete deck on the London-bound platform, which involved lifting out old sections with a crane and replacing them with new ones;
- resurfacing of the Norwich-bound platform;
- lining of the subway with special cladding to improve its appearance and make it easier to clean and maintain;
- installation of a new staircase to the subway;
- the application of new anti-slip coatings to steps;
- alterations to the arched entry to the platforms to make them compliant with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act.
The work was carried out by Hammond ECS Ltd.
Abellio Greater Anglia’s Area Customer Service Manager, Neil Grabham, said, “This is a significant upgrade to Needham Market station which has created an improved ambience and pleasant station environment for our customers. Abellio Greater Anglia is committed to upgrades at stations across the network to improve the travelling experience.”