Abellio Greater Anglia to carry out major improvements to Needham Market rail station
A £700K project to improve Needham Market railway station gets underway this weekend as Abellio Greater Anglia begins a two-day overhaul of the platforms, subway and stairs.
The train operator is taking the opportunity to carry out the work while the station is temporarily closed due to engineering works being carried out by Network Rail.
The works are taking place over a 48-hour period starting at 2.00am on Saturday 11th April and finishing at 2.00am on Monday 13th April. (Buses will replace trains while the engineering works are carried out and travellers should check www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk for changes to their journeys.)
The platform improvement works will include:
- Removal of the old life-expired concrete deck on the London-bound platform. This will involve lifting out old sections with a crane and replacing them with new ones;
- resurfacing of the Norwich-bound platform;
- lining of the subway with special cladding to improve its appearance and make it easier to clean and maintain;
- installation of a new staircase to the subway;
- the application of new anti-slip coatings to steps;
- alterations to the arched entry to the platforms to make them compliant with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act.
The work is being carried out by Hammond ECS Ltd.
Abellio Greater Anglia’s Area Customer Service Manager, Neil Grabham, said, “This is a significant upgrade to Needham Market station which will create an improved ambience and pleasant station environment for our customers. Abellio Greater Anglia is committed to upgrades at stations across the network to improve the travelling experience and it seemed a good opportunity to carry out this work whilst engineering works are taking place.”