Virgin Money London Marathon 2018
22nd April 2018
Here are some of our top tips to ensure you have a great day.
- Pre-plan your route, it’s going to be busy so it’s worth planning the best places to see and support your loved ones.
- Wear comfy shoes, there will be quite a lot of walking so make sure you are dressed comfortably for the day and the changing weather!
- Avoid the start line, this is just really for the runners so best to pick a spot further along the route.
- Busy areas include Greenwich, the Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge and anywhere after mile 24 in the lead up to the finish line.
- Quieter spots can be found out East towards Canary Wharf and Isle of Dogs which is between miles 14 to 21.
- To ensure you are at the right place at the right time, you can track the progress of your runner. You will be able to enter their surname or running number to see where they are on the course.
- The Finish line - There is a runner meet and greet area where you will be able to meet your friends and family at one of the meeting points on The Mall and in Horse Guards Roads and Horse Guards Parade. These meeting points will be marked with letters of the alphabet, so you can arrange to meet at your family initial or another pre-arranged letter
- It’s a long day, so make sure you stop and refuel! We have some great 2for1 London restaurant offers that you can enjoy on the day. Just fill in your details and download the voucher.
- Here you can view the full route and start planning a great day out
- Have fun!
Runners – how to reach the starting line
The starting line can be reached from Liverpool Street to Blackheath or Greenwich
Getting here by train
Make sure you leave enough time to get to the start line or chosen spectator location.
Travel times to London
Norwich - travel time 2 hours
Cambridge - from 48 minutes
Ipswich - from 1 hour 9 minutes
Colchester - from 1 hour 2 minutes
Getting to the start line from London Liverpool Street Station
- Central line to Bank
- Jubilee line to London Bridge
- South eastern to Blackheath
Journey time – 32 minutes
- Central line to Bank
- DLR to Greenwich DLR station
- Getting to the start line from Stratford
- Jubilee line to Canary Wharf
- Get off at Heron Quays
- DLR to Greenwich
Journey time - 20 minutes