Flexible train ticket options
We continue to work closely with public health authorities and the government to ensure the safety of passengers and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have put many measures in place to help stop the spread of Coronavirus; please review our guidance here before you travel.
If you are travelling, we would like to help you find the best tickets available, to help you save time, save money and to help you to be as flexible as possible. Below, we have listed a few things that may be helpful. Please buy your ticket in advance online to avoid contact with others, you won't need to make a reservation as these are not currently available due to rolling out the new trains to replace the fleet throughout the year.
Not travelling everyday? Travel Anytime
- If you want complete flexibility of when to travel per day, choose Anytime day tickets for peak and off-peak travel.
- These fares can be used whenever you like until 4:29 am the next day.
- If you’re planning additional further travel using the London underground, DLR, London bus network, London Tramlink, etc – we have Anytime Day Travelcards that grant unlimited travel on these networks (subject to restrictions). See the terms and conditions here.
Keep flexible and travel Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak
Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak fares are cheaper than peak time tickets and are available in 4 types – Singles, Returns, Day Singles and Day Returns.
Super Off-Peak tickets are cheaper than Off-Peak tickets but face more time restrictions. Don’t worry, our journey planner will tell you if these are available when you search your journey.
These fares allow plenty of flexibility on when you can board a train as you can travel the single or outward part of the return journey from the date on your ticket to 4:29 the next day.
If you’re planning to use onward travel in London, off-peak and super off-peak travelcards are available which include unlimited travel for zones 1-6 or 1-9.
Planning to buy a season ticket? Get ahead and order your FREE Smart Card now.
- Smart Cards are a fast way to pass through the gate barriers at stations. They’re more durable than a regular paper ticket and can be blocked if they’re lost or stolen so no one else can use them.
- Your personalised card should arrive within 3 working days.
- Avoid contact at the ticket office and load your season ticket directly onto the Smart Card yourself though our app.
- You can keep flexible and do this up to 28 days in advance, or 5 minutes before you need to catch the train.