Barbican Centre - Masculinities: Liberation Through Photography
Exhibition Dates: 20 February - 17 May 2020
2FOR1 Admission Weekday £15, Weekend £17
2FOR1 offer not valid 15 - 17 May
Through the medium of film and photography, this major exhibition explores how masculinity has been portrayed, performed, experienced and socially constructed, from the 1960s to the present day.
Looking at depictions of masculinity from behind the lens, the show brings together the work of over 50 artists, photographers and filmmakers including Laurie Anderson, Robert Mapplethorpe, Wolfgang Tillmans and Catherine Opie.
In recent years masculinity, and the way it is viewed, has come into sharper focus, with ideas of toxic and fragile masculinity becoming major discussion points. This exhibition charts the often complex and sometimes contradictory representations of masculinity and how they may have developed over time. Touching on themes including patriarchy, queer identity, female perceptions of men and masculine stereotypes, the exhibition shows how central photography and film have been to the way masculinity is imagined and understood.
Image credit: Catherine Opie, Bo from "Being and Having", 1991. © Catherine Opie, Courtesy Regen Projects, Los Angeles; Thomas Dane Gallery, London; and Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York.
Please check website for details.
Offer expiry date
Terms and conditions
National Rail 2FOR1 Terms & Conditions
- Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise. Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
- You must produce two valid National Rail tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination - most train tickets display the or symbol. National Rail issued tickets include Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Travelcard, Advance, Anytime and Season Tickets. *
- London Underground issued tickets (including Travelcards) and Heathrow Express are NOT valid and will not be accepted at any attraction.
- Oyster Cards are NOT accepted (including Travelcard on Oyster).
- For E-Daytrain tickets please present your phone message and supporting printed ticket. You will also be asked to produce photo ID.
- Offers are valid until 31 December 2020 unless otherwise stated.
- Amended or defaced vouchers will not be accepted.
- Acceptance of this voucher is strictly subject to the establishment's own terms & conditions and deemed accepted on admission.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Offers may be withdrawn or subject to change without notice.
- Exchange or sale of this voucher is prohibited. Not for resale. Voucher value 0.0001p.
- Special terms & conditions may apply and will be stated clearly within this website.
- Offer valid on full price adult tickets only. An adult is 16 years or over.
- In the event of a full price and concessionary admission ticket being purchased together, the higher price ticket must be paid for.
- The voucher must be used at the time of purchase and is not valid for any pre-booked tickets (unless specified otherwise).
- The voucher cannot be used with any other promotion, offer, individual or group discount.
The information you are supplying will be sorted electronically.
* If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher only on the day of travel.
If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please refer to our FAQs for further information.