National Gallery - The Credit Suisse Exhibition: Gauguin Portraits
Exhibition Dates: 7 October 2019 - 26 January 2020
2FOR1 Admission: £22 weekdays, £24 weekends
The first ever exhibition devoted to the portraits of Paul Gauguin. Spanning the later years of his life and focusing solely on his portraits, this exhibition follows Gauguin’s move away from Impressionism towards Symbolism.
By adding carefully selected attributes or placing the sitter into a suggestive context, Gauguin was able to make portraits that expressed meaning beyond their personalities. A group of self-portraits, for example, reveals how Gauguin created a range of personifications including his self-image as 'Christ in the Garden of Olives', 1889 (Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach).
Featuring about fifty works, the exhibition includes paintings, works on paper, and three-dimensional objects in a variety of media, from public and private collections worldwide.
It also brings together multiple works of the same sitter from different collections scattered across the world, giving us the opportunity to see how Gauguin interpreted a model in different media over time.
Exhibition organised by the National Gallery and the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa.
Paul Gauguin, The Ancestors of Tehamana or Tehamana Has Many Parents (Merahi metua no Tehamana), 1893.
The Art Institute of Chicago © The Art Institute of Chicago
Please check website for details.
Offer expiry date
Terms and conditions
National Rail 2FOR1 Terms & Conditions
- Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise. Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
- You must produce two valid National Rail tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination - most train tickets display the or symbol. National Rail issued tickets include Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Travelcard, Advance, Anytime and Season Tickets. *
- London Underground issued tickets (including Travelcards) and Heathrow Express are NOT valid and will not be accepted at any attraction.
- Oyster Cards are NOT accepted (including Travelcard on Oyster).
- For E-Daytrain tickets please present your phone message and supporting printed ticket. You will also be asked to produce photo ID.
- Offers are valid until 31 December 2020 unless otherwise stated.
- Amended or defaced vouchers will not be accepted.
- Acceptance of this voucher is strictly subject to the establishment's own terms & conditions and deemed accepted on admission.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Offers may be withdrawn or subject to change without notice.
- Exchange or sale of this voucher is prohibited. Not for resale. Voucher value 0.0001p.
- Special terms & conditions may apply and will be stated clearly within this website.
- Offer valid on full price adult tickets only. An adult is 16 years or over.
- In the event of a full price and concessionary admission ticket being purchased together, the higher price ticket must be paid for.
- The voucher must be used at the time of purchase and is not valid for any pre-booked tickets (unless specified otherwise).
- The voucher cannot be used with any other promotion, offer, individual or group discount.
The information you are supplying will be sorted electronically.
* If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher only on the day of travel.
If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please refer to our FAQs for further information.