Tate Britain - British Baroque: Power and Illusion
Exhibition Dates: 5 February - 19 April 2020
Uncover the art of an age of transformation in the first show to explore baroque art in Britain. Discover how the art of the later 17th century was used to convey power, through magnificent portraits, awe-inspiring mural painting and intriguing illusion.
This is the first time that Tate has staged a show devoted to the later 17th century and the first to explore baroque art in Britain. It will be a chance to encounter a rich, sophisticated but overlooked era of art history. Many of the works will be on display for the first time - some borrowed from the stately homes they have hung in since they were made.
From the Restoration of Charles II in 1660 to the death of Queen Anne in 1714, the late Stuart period was a time of momentous change for Britain. From the royal court as the brilliant epicentre of the nation's cultural life to the rise of party politics, the exhibition will look at the magnificence of art and architecture as an expression of status and influence.
This exhibition will include the work of the leading painters of the day, including Peter Lely, Godfrey Kneller and James Thornhill. It will celebrate grand-scale portraiture, the wonder and artifice of trompe l'oeil, the emotional persuasion of religious spaces and the awe-inspiring impact of baroque mural painting. Throughout, the show will consider the use of art to convey power, however distant the illusion sometimes was from reality.
Please check website for details.
Offer expiry date
Terms and conditions
National Rail 2FOR1 Terms & Conditions
- Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise. Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
- You must produce two valid National Rail tickets as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination - most train tickets display the or symbol. National Rail issued tickets include Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Travelcard, Advance, Anytime and Season Tickets. *
- London Underground issued tickets (including Travelcards) and Heathrow Express are NOT valid and will not be accepted at any attraction.
- Oyster Cards are NOT accepted (including Travelcard on Oyster).
- For E-Daytrain tickets please present your phone message and supporting printed ticket. You will also be asked to produce photo ID.
- Offers are valid until 31 December 2020 unless otherwise stated.
- Amended or defaced vouchers will not be accepted.
- Acceptance of this voucher is strictly subject to the establishment's own terms & conditions and deemed accepted on admission.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Offers may be withdrawn or subject to change without notice.
- Exchange or sale of this voucher is prohibited. Not for resale. Voucher value 0.0001p.
- Special terms & conditions may apply and will be stated clearly within this website.
- Offer valid on full price adult tickets only. An adult is 16 years or over.
- In the event of a full price and concessionary admission ticket being purchased together, the higher price ticket must be paid for.
- The voucher must be used at the time of purchase and is not valid for any pre-booked tickets (unless specified otherwise).
- The voucher cannot be used with any other promotion, offer, individual or group discount.
The information you are supplying will be sorted electronically.
* If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher only on the day of travel.
If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to get the offer with this voucher any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Please refer to our FAQs for further information.