New train services make it easier for passengers using London Southend Airport
Greater Anglia and London Southend Airport are delighted to announce a new agreement that will see extra train services, allowing passengers to easily connect to early morning and late evening flights.
From Monday 10 June, Greater Anglia will be running an extra service, Monday to Saturday mornings, from Liverpool Street, departing at around 04.30, dependent on day, to connect with early morning outbound flights.
There will also be an additional late-night service, Sunday to Friday nights, from the airport to Liverpool Street, departing 23.59, for passengers landing later in the evening that need quick and easy access to London.
Martin Moran, Greater Anglia Commercial and Customer Service Director said: “We are very pleased to provide these extra services to make it easier for people to travel by rail between London Southend Airport and London. It’s a great example of how Greater Anglia is supporting the economy in our region.
“We are currently transforming and modernising the railway in the Southend Area. Network Rail is nearing the end of a project to replace the entire overhead wire system between Southend Victoria and Shenfield and we are bringing in brand new longer state-of-the-art trains from the end of this year.”
Glyn Jones, Chief Executive Officer of Stobart Aviation, owners of London Southend Airport said “We engage with our passengers, we listen to what they are telling us and we take action. That is why we are delighted that following customer feedback we have been able to work with Greater Anglia to put these new services in place which will allow people to make simple and easy connections via train to and from London’s favourite and fastest growing airport.”
Further direct connectivity with London arrives at an exciting time for the airport, which recently welcomed Ryanair, bringing 13 destinations, and Loganair, with three, rising to four destinations, – adding to the established flights on offer from easyJet, Flybe and Air Malta.
The new services will run Monday to Saturday at the following times:
Liverpool Street to London Southend Airport
- Mondays: depart 04.30 Liverpool Street and 04.37 Stratford (pick up only), arrive 05.17 London Southend Airport
- Tuesday and Thursday only: depart 04.35 Liverpool Street and 04.45 Stratford (pick up only), arrive 05.29 London Southend Airport
- Wednesday and Friday only: depart 04.35 Liverpool Street and 04.42 Stratford (pick up only), arrive 05.29 London Southend Airport
- Saturday only: depart 04.30 Liverpool Street and 04.38 Stratford (pick up only), arrive 05.18 London Southend Airport
London Southend Airport to Liverpool Street
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: depart 23.59 London Southend Airport, arrive 00.19 Shenfield (set down only), arrive 00.45 Stratford (set down only), arrive 00.55 Liverpool Street
- Sunday only: depart 23.59 London Southend Airport arrive 00.19 Shenfield (set down only), arrive 00.43 Stratford (set down only), arrive 00.55 Liverpool street.
Ticket prices start from £16.70 for an off-peak single.
The Southend line is currently free of mid-week engineering works and will also be unaffected by engineering works at weekends in July and August until the August bank holiday weekend, apart from Sundays from 02.15 to 09.15.