Get the best available fare by buying your tickets in advance
By purchasing an Advance ticket, you’re able to choose the best time to travel at the lowest available fare and, on almost all main line Intercity trains on the London to Norwich route, reserve yourself a seat.
On which routes are Advance tickets available?
Advance tickets are available on the following Greater Anglia routes:
- Main Line Intercity services between London Liverpool Street and Stratford and Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, Diss and Norwich;
- By using our regular connecting services, London and Stratford to and from a large area of Norfolk, Suffolk and north Essex, to such places as Sheringham, Cromer, Wymondham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Felixstowe, Saxmundham, Bury St Edmunds and Harwich, plus many other intermediate stations;
- Intermediate longer-distance journeys such as Colchester to Great Yarmouth or Chelmsford to Norwich;
- Through journeys via London Liverpool Street from many West Anglia and London area stations to East Anglia, for example Harlow Town to Ipswich or Chingford to Diss;
- London Liverpool Street and Stratford to Clacton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze and intermediate stations between Colchester and the coast* ;
- London Liverpool Street to Audley End, Whittlesford Parkway and Cambridge*;
- London Liverpool Street to Ely and King's Lynn (Greater Anglia through trains only - these run on weekdays at peak times only)*;
*The full range of Advance tickets on these routes is available for trains departing on 2nd January 2013 and later.
Advance tickets are also available on many through journeys to other parts of Great Britain from Greater Anglia stations both via London and via Peterborough. Availability of Advance tickets on other Train Companies is set by the companies concerned, so we cannot control availability on through journeys.
Why travel with Advance tickets?
- Tickets are priced as single leg fares so you can choose the lowest available price for each leg of your journey (out and back);
- You book to travel at your specified time;
- It’s cost effective with fares starting at £8 single between London and Norwich and £6 single between London and Cambridge (depending on availability and time of travel);
- Railcard and Child discounts apply to all Advance fares (see Railcard Discounts below for details on which Railcards are valid);
- You can check out our First Class Advance fares; they are often cheaper than you might expect;
- Get the best deal, book well in advance and travel at off-peak times;
- For most services on the London to Norwich main line, a free seat reservation is included.
Check details and book early as Advance tickets are subject to limited availability and Advance fares will not be available on every train.
You must travel on your booked service or the ticket will not be valid.
It’s possible to buy additional tickets for your onward travel. For travel around London, simply purchase a One Day Travelcard for the Zones you wish to travel in. For Central London, including the West End, South Bank, Camden Town, Earls Court and Greenwich, a Zone 1-2 ticket is sufficient. For Underground/DLR travel from Stratford, however, a Zone 1-4 ticket would be required (Zone 1-3 in the morning peak).
For other towns and cities, with PlusBus you can add unlimited bus travel at your starting point and/or your destination.
16-25 (Young Persons), Family & Friends (Family), Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders can save 1/3 on all Standard Class Advance tickets.
In addition, 16-25, Senior, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders also save 1/3 on all First Class Advance fares.
How to buy your Advance ticket
Simply enter your journey details into the ‘buy train tickets’ search engine to find the cheapest Advance fares available.
You can receive your tickets by First Class post (please allow 5 working days for delivery); collect your pre-paid tickets from ticket vending machines (TVMs) at participating stations.
Some routes where Advance tickets are available, also offer Print Your Own tickets, so you don't need to wait for them to be posted or have to collect them at stations!
To ensure you are getting the best ticket for you, see our tips for getting the best deals on Advance tickets. This section also explains how to search for tickets at weekends if there is engineering work, when sometimes trains offering Advance tickets are not shown in the initial search results.
Over the phone
Booking tickets over the phone couldn’t be easier. Simply call the Greater Anglia Contact Centre on 0845 600 7245.
Via our app
You can now book tickets on one of our apps. Some routes where Advance tickets are available, will also allow your ticket to be sent to your phone. Download our app
If you’re having any trouble booking tickets visit our contact us page for further details on how to get in touch - our trained staff will always find the best ticket for you.
Please see Advance purchase terms and conditions.