COVID-19 Ticket Refund Update
The vast majority of refunds are being processed within 28 days of receipt, however a small number of refunds may take longer to process as we require additional information from our customers to successfully complete the refund.
The online refund application service has helped with providing customers the ability to apply for a refund whilst following government guidelines. The service will be withdrawn from Saturday 4 July. Refunds are still available at our station ticket offices, where social distancing measures are in place and online if you have a My Greater Anglia account.
If you bought a ticket from a non Greater Anglia ticket office or online retailer then you will need to contact whoever sold you the ticket to arrange the refund.
Due to the current situation with the Covid-19 coronavirus we are changing the rules on refunds and changes to travel plans with immediate effect, in line with national rail industry policy.
For walk-up and advance tickets purchased online, please request ‘refunds’ or ‘change of journeys’ by logging into your Greater Anglia account. If you’re unable to do so, then please submit your request to [email protected].
Walk-up tickets (Singles and Returns, not Advance)
- If you have a walk-up ticket, bought at a Greater Anglia station or from the Greater Anglia website or app, but you decide not to travel, you can receive a full refund, with no admin fee. This applies to any tickets already booked and any new bookings made between now and 31 May 2020.
- If you have bought a ticket online, you will be able to request a refund online by logging into your account. No fee will be charged. If you’re not able to do this or have a mobile ticket which is either an e-ticket or mobile ticket, please send your request to [email protected].
- If you have purchased your tickets booked from a non Greater Anglia ticket office or online retailer then you will need to contact whoever sold you the ticket to arrange the refund.
- If you bought a daily ticket at a station, please visit one of our ticket offices if you'd like to request a refund.
Advance tickets (booked train only tickets)
- Advance tickets purchased prior to 07:00 Monday 23 March 2020 for travel on or after 23 March can be refunded in full with no admin fee.
- You can also change the date of travel for a future date free of charge (the normal £10 admin fee will be waived). However, there are no refunds on these tickets if you decide not to use them. When changing the date, any difference in fare will still be charged, you can only change for a date that is up to 12 weeks ahead. No refund will be given if the new journey results in a lower fare.
- If the train you were booked onto has been cancelled in the new reduced timetable, then you are entitled to a full refund.
- The origin station, destination station and operator must remain the same. Travel can be re-booked up to 31 August 2020, but note that Advance bookings open 12 weeks in advance of a travel date. The fee free changes apply as travel dates become available 12 weeks in advance.
- If you bought your ticket online then you can apply for a refund or change of journey online without any charges by logging into your account. If you bought your ticket from a ticket office, please go to one of our ticket offices to request a refund.
To request a refund, please visit one of our ticket offices. And feel free to view social distancing measures we have put in place on our trains and stations if you want to feel more comfortable.
The normal refund terms and conditions will remain the same. A £10 admin fee will still be charged. Please note until 11 May 2020, you will be able to backdate your refund claim to the last date you travelled, but no earlier than Tuesday 17 March 2020. From Tuesday 12 May 2020, these refunds can be backdated up to a maximum 56 calendar days from when they were submitted if customers were unable to travel due to the impact of Coronavirus. This will be a rolling 56-day backdating period, until further notice.
Please note that this is a consistent national approach which applies across all train operators in England.
Annual Season tickets with more than 7 weeks remaining are entitiled to a refund. Use this Season ticket refund calculator to work out an estimate for the refund amount you'll get for an Annual or longer than one month Season Ticket.
If you submit your refund claim after the normal deadline date as a direct consequence of an illness which specifically prevented you from submitting it earlier, your claim will still be accepted.
Plus Bus seasons tickets can also be refunded. These can be backdated up to a maximum 56 days from the date they are submitted, if customers were unable to travel due to the impact of Coronavirus. This will be a rolling 56-day backdating period, until further notice.
If you have bought a season ticket through Abellio Corporate Travel, you can find out more information on online refunds here - https://www.abelliocorporatetravel.com/refunds.
Annual Season Tickets purchased with a company cheque
If you paid for your annual season ticket with a company cheque you will need to provide a letter from your employer on headed company paper confirming the refund can be credited directly back to you.
This can be taken to the ticket office where you purchased your season ticket along with your ticket.
If the refund is to be credited back to your employer please provide a letter on headed company paper with BACs details:
Account name: (i.e. Abellio East Anglia Ltd)
Sort Code: (i.e. 20-00-00)
Account number: (i.e. 12345678)
Bank: (i.e. Barclays)
There is currently no change to the validity period and expiry dates for annual railcards. If that situation changes, details will be advised accordingly.
Rail Travel Vouchers
If you have a Rail Travel Voucher that has an expiry date between 17 March 2020 and 16 September 2020, this may be accepted for a maximum of 6 months after the original expiry date e.g. an RTV that expires on 10 June 2020, may continue to be accepted up to and including 09 December 2020. Where a voucher states that it can be exchanged for cash, this can also be done with expired vouchers.
Car Park Season Tickets
If you have any issues, please contact the NCP customer service team directly on 03450507080 or you visit the the NCP online contact us page - https://ncp.co.uk/help-centre/contact-us/.
If you purchased an annual car park season ticket and have been unable to use it due to the COVID-19 situation, NCP will extend the validity by four months. For example, if your ticket expires 30 June 2020, your ticket will be extended until 31 October 2020. NCP will continue to monitor and review the situation with Greater Anglia.
If you purchased a scholar pass for the full academic year, please contact [email protected].
There are no refunds available for termly passes for the spring term.
- If your refund claim has been submitted later than the normal deadline date as a direct consequence of an illness which specifically prevented earlier submission, your claim will still be accepted.
- All Season Tickets can be refunded at any time. These refunds can be backdated up to a maximum 56 days from the date they are submitted, if customers were unable to travel due to the impact of Coronavirus. This will be a rolling 56-day backdating period, until further notice. This includes all seasons, including car parking and Plus Bus seasons.
- Our web support team based overseas are unfortunately going into lockdown from 1800 on the 20th March 2020 for the foreseeable future. So where you cannot refund or change a ticket bought online yourself through your online account you will need to email [email protected] as the usual web support number will not work.
- For any other enquiries, you can submit these via https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/contact-us/contact-forms/customer-relations.
- Only contact us via email regarding non season refunds if you are within 72 hours of travel. This is to help ease the strain on the contact centre staff. Where possible we advise doing this yourself online where the option is available to you.
- Refunding/Changing E & M-tickets - log in to change or refund E & M-tickets online.
- Next Day Delivery - Royal Mail can no longer guarantee Next Day delivery. As a result of this, we’ve removed this delivery option.