COVID-19 Ticket Refund Update
During the pandemic, we made several temporary changes to our ticket refund policy in line with the national rail industry. A lot of these changes temporary changes came to an end from 7 September 2020. From this date:
- The revised target in processing refunds reverted to 28 days.
- £10 refund fee on walk up tickets is reinstated.
- Advance tickets remain non-refundable but the £10 fee for changing the date and time of the booking is reinstated.
- Refunds on expired season tickets ends, as does backdating of refunds. These reversals apply to car park and Plus Bus seasons.
- Unexpired Season Tickets can be refunded at any time - we can do this by deducting the value of any other tickets you could have travelled with in the same time until you stopped using your Season Ticket. This refund can be backdated with evidence that illness prevented you from travelling. (National Rail Conditions of Travel, 40.4).
- To see how much you could get back from your Season Ticket, try the Season Ticket Refund Calculator on the National rail website. For more information, including if you require a refund due to sickness that prevented you from using a Season Ticket, see the National Rail Season Ticket Conditions page.
- Unused FlexiPass tickets remain non-refundable (and will not have their validity extended) if they remain unused after their expiry date.
- Refunds can be applied for unused or part-used Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak ticket refunds up to 28 days after expiry.
- In areas where there is disruption, we and other operators will agree cross-ticket acceptance on a case by case basis.
View previous coronavirus ticket refund policy (before 7 Sept) on the National Rail Enquries website.
The vast majority of refunds are being processed within 28 days of receipt. There are however a small number of refunds which may take longer to process as we require additional information from our customers to successfully complete the refund.
If you're one of the people we need extra information from, please check our blog to ensure we have everything we need.
If you have provided us with all the required information and have not received your refund within 56 days of submission, please get in touch with our Customer Relations team.
Fastest refund options
The fastest way to process a refund will be at one of our station ticket offices, where social distancing measures are in place or otherwise online if you have a My Greater Anglia account.
If you bought a ticket from a non-Greater Anglia ticket office or online retailer then you will need to contact whoever sold you the ticket to arrange the refund.
Remote Refunds and Support
If you need any other guidance on refunds please contact our Customer Contact Centre.
Local lockdown refunds
The normal refund conditions apply for journey’s to or from a local lockdown area. If you are in such an area and want to request a ticket refund that was purchased with us, you can do so remotely by contacting our customer relations. If the ticket was bought on our website or app, this can be requested online through the My Greater Anglia area.
Unexpired Season Tickets can be refunded at any time. Refunds can be backdated if you provide sufficient proof of illness.
To request a refund, please visit one of our ticket offices. Please view social distancing measures we have put in place on our trains and stations before visiting.
Annual Season tickets with more than 7 weeks remaining are entitled to a refund. Use this Season ticket refund calculator to work out an estimate for the refund amount you'll get for an Annual or longer than one month Season Ticket.
If you have bought a season ticket through Abellio Corporate Travel, you can find out more information on online refunds on their website.
Annual Season Tickets purchased with a company cheque
If you paid for your annual season ticket with a company cheque you will need to provide a letter from your employer on headed company paper confirming the refund can be credited directly back to you.
This can be taken to the ticket office where you purchased your season ticket along with your ticket.
If the refund is to be credited back to your employer please provide a letter on headed company paper with BACs details:
Account name: (i.e. Abellio East Anglia Ltd)
Sort Code: (i.e. 20-00-00)
Account number: (i.e. 12345678)
Bank: (i.e. Barclays)
There is currently no change to the validity period, discount and expiry dates for annual railcards but this is being reviewed at the moment. Please keep checking here or the railcard website for the latest information.
Rail Travel Vouchers
If you have a Rail Travel Voucher that has an expiry date between 17 March 2020 and 16 September 2020, this may be accepted for a maximum of 6 months after the original expiry date e.g. an RTV that expires on 10 June 2020, may continue to be accepted up to and including 09 December 2020. Where a voucher states that it can be exchanged for cash, this can also be done with expired vouchers.
Car Park Season Tickets
If you have any issues, please contact the NCP customer service team directly on 03450507080 or you visit the NCP online contact us page - https://ncp.co.uk/help-centre/contact-us/.
If you purchased an annual car park season ticket and have been unable to use it due to the COVID-19 situation, NCP will extend the validity by four months. For example, if your ticket expires 30 June 2020, your ticket will be extended until 31 October 2020. NCP will continue to monitor and review the situation with Greater Anglia.
If you purchased a scholar pass for the full academic year, please contact [email protected].
- Our web support team are providing a reduced service so where you cannot refund or change a ticket bought online yourself through your online account, please email [email protected].
- For any other enquiries, you can submit these via https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/contact-us/contact-forms/customer-relations.
- Only contact us via email regarding non season refunds if you are within 72 hours of travel. This is to help ease the strain on the contact centre staff. Where possible we advise doing this yourself online where the option is available to you.
- Refunding/Changing E & M-tickets - log in to change or refund E & M-tickets online.
- Next Day Delivery - Royal Mail can no longer guarantee Next Day delivery. As a result of this, we’ve removed this delivery option.