Coronavirus ticket refund update
We apologise for the delay in processing refunds. There are an unprecedented amount of requests coming through to us, but we are dealing with each request as quickly as we possibly can. We thank all our customers for their patience.
We have amended our timetable in light of the current situation, click here to find out more.
Due to the current situation with the Covid-19 coronavirus we are changing the rules on refunds and changes to travel plans with immediate effect, in line with national rail industry policy.
For walk-up and advance tickets purchased online, please request ‘refunds’ or ‘change of journeys’ by logging into your Greater Anglia account. If you’re unable to do so, then please submit your request to [email protected].
Walk-up tickets (Singles and Returns, not Advance)
- If you have a walk-up ticket, bought at a Greater Anglia station or from the Greater Anglia website or app, but you decide not to travel, you can receive a full refund, with no admin fee. This applies to any tickets already booked and any new bookings made between now and 31 May 2020.
- If you have bought a ticket online, you will be able to request a refund online by logging into your account. No fee will be charged. If you’re not able to do this or have a mobile ticket which is either an e-ticket or mobile ticket, please send your request to [email protected].
- If you have purchased your tickets booked from a non Greater Anglia ticket office or online retailer then you will need to contact whoever sold you the ticket to arrange the refund.
- UPDATE: if you bought a daily ticket at a station, please complete this form.
Advance tickets (booked train only tickets)
- Advance tickets purchased prior to 07:00 Monday 23 March 2020 for travel on or after 23 March can be refunded in full with no admin fee.
- You can also change the date of travel for a future date free of charge (the normal £10 admin fee will be waived). However, there are no refunds on these tickets if you decide not to use them. When changing the date, any difference in fare will still be charged, you can only change for a date that is up to 12 weeks ahead. No refund will be given if the new journey results in a lower fare.
- If the train you were booked onto has been cancelled in the new reduced timetable, then you are entitled to a full refund.
- The origin station, destination station and operator must remain the same. Travel can be re-booked up to 31 August 2020, but note that Advance bookings open 12 weeks in advance of a travel date. The fee free changes apply as travel dates become available 12 weeks in advance.
- If you bought your ticket online then you can apply for a refund or change of journey online without any charges by logging into your account. If you bought your ticket from a ticket office, you can request a refund here.
If you have a smart card season which you bought online or on the app please complete this online form. This includes journeys to zones 1-6, 2-6, 3-6, 4-6, 5-6 https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/form/smartcard-seasons-refund-request-form.
For refunds of paper seasons bought online or at ticket offices as well as Smart season tickets bought at ticket offices - please use this form https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/form/station-seasons-refund-request-form.
In the meantime, please be patient, our staff are doing their best in difficult circumstances. We've had so many enquiries it's too much for our telephone call handlers to process and customers were still waiting for their calls to be answered when the automatic cut-off disconnected them. We're really sorry if you were one of those customers - we know how frustrating it was.
If you have bought a season ticket through Abellio Corporate Travel, you can find out more information on online refunds here - https://www.abelliocorporatetravel.com/refunds
The normal refund terms and conditions will remain the same. A £10 admin fee will still be charged.
Please note that this is a consistent national approach which applies across all UK train operators.
If you purchased a scholar pass for the full academic year, please contact [email protected].
There are no refunds available for termly passes for the spring term.
- Refunds usually take up to 28 days, however we are are currently experiencing high volumes so it may take longer. Please bear with us and thank you for your patience.
- Our web support team based overseas are unfortunately going into lockdown from 1800 on the 20th March 2020 for the foreseeable future. So where you cannot refund or change a ticket bought online yourself through your online account you will need to email [email protected] as the usual web support number will not work.
- For any other enquiries, you can submit these via https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/contact-us/contact-forms/customer-relations.
- Only contact us via email regarding non season refunds if you are within 72 hours of travel. This is to help ease the strain on the contact centre staff. Where possible we advise doing this yourself online where the option is available to you.
- Refunding/Changing E & M-tickets - We’re working on updates to the website to allow you to login to your account so that you can change or refund an E & M-tickets. Our suppliers are working to get this live as soon as possible.
- Next Day Delivery - Royal Mail can no longer guarantee Next Day delivery. As a result of this, we’ve removed this delivery option.