COVID-19 Ticket Refund Update
Lockdown announced on the 4th January to start from Wednesday 6th January - Fee free Change of journeys
- Following the government’s advice to avoid non-essential travel, train companies are offering a fee free change of journey on all Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance tickets purchased on or before the announcement on the 4th January 2021.
- if you originally purchased your ticket online or on our app, please call our Web Support Team to change your journey for free. Tel: 0345 600 7245 (option 6). Open Monday to Sunday 08:00 - 17:00 an answer phone is available outside these times. Phone lines may be busy at the moment due to COVID-19 enquires, so please contact them via the email if this is more convenient: [email protected]
- If you purchased your ticket at one of our stations or ticket machines, please contact our Customer Contact Centre to change your journey free of charge.
- If you prefer, we can provide you with a refund in the form of Rail Travel vouchers, which can be used to be a ticket at a later date. To apply for Rail Travel Vouchers whether you bought online or at a station, please contact our Customer Contact Centre.
Fastest refund options
If you are eligible for a full refund due to the pandemic, the fastest way to process a refund will be at one of our station ticket offices, where social distancing measures are in place. If you can’t get to a station, then please contact our Customer Contact Centre
If you originally purchased your ticket online or on our app, please call our Web Support Team to change your journey for free - Tel: 0345 600 7245 (option 6) Open Monday to Sunday 08:00 - 17:00 an answer phone is available outside these times. Phone lines may be busy at the moment due to COVID-19 enquires, so please contact them via the email if this is more convenient: [email protected]
If you bought a ticket from a non-Greater Anglia ticket office or online retailer then you will need to contact whoever sold you the ticket to arrange the refund.
Remote Refunds and Support
If you need any other guidance on refunds please contact our Customer Contact Centre.
Unexpired Season Tickets can be refunded at any time. Refunds can be backdated if you provide sufficient proof of illness.
To request a refund, please visit one of our ticket offices. Please view social distancing measures we have put in place on our trains and stations before visiting.
Annual Season tickets with more than 7 weeks remaining are entitled to a refund. Use this Season ticket refund calculator to work out an estimate for the refund amount you'll get for an Annual or longer than one month Season Ticket.
If you have bought a season ticket through Abellio Corporate Travel, you can find out more information on online refunds on their website.
Annual Season Tickets purchased with a company cheque
If you paid for your annual season ticket with a company cheque you will need to provide a letter from your employer on headed company paper confirming the refund can be credited directly back to you.
This can be taken to the ticket office where you purchased your season ticket along with your ticket.
If the refund is to be credited back to your employer please provide a letter on headed company paper with BACs details:
Account name: (i.e. Abellio East Anglia Ltd)
Sort Code: (i.e. 20-00-00)
Account number: (i.e. 12345678)
Bank: (i.e. Barclays)
There is currently no change to the validity period, discount and expiry dates for annual railcards but this is being reviewed at the moment. Please keep checking here or the railcard website for the latest information.
Rail Travel Vouchers
Since late October/early November 2020 when national lockdowns and “firebreaks” started to be imposed and until 28 March 2021 when the national lockdown ended in England, the advice from the UK governments has been for people to stay at home and only travel if a journey is essential. Because of this, a large number of customers issued with Rail Travel Vouchers may not have been able to redeem them. Previously, Rail Travel Vouchers that expired between 17 March and 16 September 2020 were extended for six months, to allow customers more time to use them towards new tickets or National Rail products, after the first national lockdown.
It has been agreed that Rail Travel Vouchers that have expired or are due to expire after ‘essential travel only’ messaging began in late October/early November 2020, can be extended for a further six-months, up to, and including Wednesday 30 June 2021.
Car Park Season Tickets
If you have any issues, please contact the NCP customer service team directly on 03450507080 or you visit the NCP online contact us page - https://ncp.co.uk/help-centre/contact-us/.
University student travel permitted changes to tickets
If you are a student with Advance Single tickets valid for travel between 02 January and 7 February 2021 and purchased on or after 2 December 2020 and before the announcement of the staggered return to in-person studying (Thursday 31 December 2020) you are permitted to change your journey for a different date and time, but you will still be required to pay any fare differences. If you prefer, you can ask for a Rail Travel Voucher so you can use this towards a new ticket at a different time.
If you have a non-Advance tickets such as Anytime, Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak and had planned to travel on or after Saturday 02 January 2021, you are permitted to change your journey, as allowed by the terms & conditions of those tickets, or to refund them. Normal refund administration fees will apply.
If you originally purchased your ticket online or on our app, please call our Web Support Team to change your journey for free. Tel: 0345 600 7245 (option 6)
Open Monday to Sunday 08:00 - 17:00 an answer phone is available outside these times. Phone lines may be busy at the moment due to COVID-19 enquires, so please contact them via the email if this is more convenient: [email protected]
If you purchased your ticket at one of our stations or ticket machines, please contact our Customer Contact Centre to change your journey free of charge.
If you purchased a scholar pass for the full academic year, please contact [email protected].
- Our web support team are providing a reduced service so where you cannot refund or change a ticket bought online yourself through your online account, please email [email protected].
- For any other enquiries, you can submit these via https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/contact-us/contact-forms/customer-relations.
- Only contact us via email regarding non season refunds if you are within 72 hours of travel. This is to help ease the strain on the contact centre staff. Where possible we advise doing this yourself online where the option is available to you.
- Refunding/Changing E & M-tickets - log in to change or refund E & M-tickets online.
- Next Day Delivery - Royal Mail can no longer guarantee Next Day delivery. As a result of this, we’ve removed this delivery option.