Don't pay a Penalty Fare. Buy the correct ticket before you travel.
Please make sure you buy a valid ticket for your entire journey before you travel. Otherwise, you could be charged extra.
A Penalty Fare can be charged if you:
- Travel without a valid ticket
- Can't show an appropriate Railcard for a discounted ticket
- Travel in a First Class carriage with a Standard Class ticket
- Are travelling on a child rate ticket, but are 16 or over
- Travel beyond the destination on your ticket.
How much is a penalty fare
A Penalty Fare is £100 plus the price of the full single fare for your intended journey. However, if you pay it within 21 days, it's reduced by £50.
How to appeal
If you feel you've been issued a Penalty Fare incorrectly or unfairly, you can appeal within 21 days of it being issued. Appeal online, or download an appeal form.
Buying your ticket
If you’re using pay-as-you-go or a Smartcard ticket, please ensure you touch in when you start your journey.