Find out about how you can change all Advance ticket types fee free if the change is made before 18:00 the day before travel on our Book With Confidence page
Book early for the cheapest train fares.
By purchasing an Advance ticket, you’re able to choose the best time to travel at the lowest available fare.
Sign up to Advance Alerts
Advance tickets are released for booking around three months in advance of travel. To be alerted when tickets are first on sale for a particular date, sign up for our alerts now
Where are Advance tickets available?
Advance tickets are available on the following Greater Anglia routes:
- London to Ipswich, Stowmarket, Diss and Norwich
- London to branch lines in Norfolk and Suffolk, including the lines to Cromer and Sheringham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Bury St Edmunds and Felixstowe
- London to Colchester, and stations to Clacton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze
- London to Audley End and stations to Cambridge
- London to Ely and stations to King's Lynn (Greater Anglia through trains - weekday peak times only)
- London to Prittlewell and Southend Victoria (less busy times of day only)
- Many other intermediate journeys.
Advance tickets are also available on many through journeys to other parts of the country.
Plan ahead for a great value day out
Why travel with Advance tickets?
- Tickets are priced as single leg fares so you can choose the lowest available price for each leg of your journey (out and back)
- You book to travel at your specified time
- It’s cost effective with fares starting at £10 single between London and Norwich, £8 single between London and Cambridge and £6 single between London and Southend (depending on availability and time of travel)
- Railcard and Child discounts apply to all Advance fares (see Railcard Discounts below for details on which Railcards are valid)
- You can check out our First Class Advance fares - they are often cheaper than you might expect
- Get the best deal - book well in advance and travel at off-peak times
- On the London to Norwich main line, a free seat reservation is included*, except for the last three services each evening from London, which have free seating. *We are in the process of changing our fleet over to brand-new Stadler trains, which will have electronic seat reservation displays. While we are operating a mixed fleet of existing and new trains, we are unable to offer seat reservations. We will re-introduce them once the new trains are all in service.
Check details and book early as Advance tickets are subject to limited availability and may not be available on every train.
Advance tickets are normally released 12 weeks before the departure date of the train; however in some cases where services are affected by engineering work, they may be released a few weeks later than this.
You must travel on your booked service or the ticket will not be valid.
However, if you have arrived on a flight at either Norwich Airport or Southend Airport, and your flight was delayed, and you hold an Advance ticket (for example Norwich to London or Southend Airport to Norwich) your Advance ticket will be valid on the next available Greater Anglia service. Advance tickets are not available for journeys between Southend Airport and London only. See Advance ticket terms and conditions for full details.
Changes to Advance tickets are possible before the departure of the first reserved train. An administration fee is payable.
It’s possible to buy additional tickets for your onward travel. For travel around London, you can buy a One Day Travelcard or use an Oyster Card or contactless payment card. For full details please see the TfL website
With PlusBus you can add unlimited bus travel within your destination town. You can also buy a PlusBus ticket for the town where you are starting your journey. PlusBus is available in hundreds of towns and cities in the UK. For details see the PlusBus website
16-25, 26-30, Senior, Two Together, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders can save 1/3 on First Class and Standard Advance tickets. Family and Friends Railcard holders can save 1/3 on all Standard Advance tickets.Greater Anglia Club 50 cardholders can save 20% (online) or 10% (at stations) on First Class and Standard Advance tickets.
Advance Purchase on the Day
On all Greater Anglia services where Advance tickets are available (except Southend services), you can now buy Advance tickets up to ten minutes before the departure of your chosen train. Advance Purchase on the day tickets cost less than the equivalent flexible Single ticket. Seat reservations are not provided, but, like pre-booked Advance tickets, travel must be on the specified train only. Advance Purchase on the Day tickets are available to buy on the Greater Anglia website and the GA App. You can choose to have your ticket delivered to your smartphone as a mobile ticket, or sent to you as a pdf e-ticket that you can either show on your phone or print out. Alternatively,you can choose to collect your tickets from a ticket machine at the station (ticket on departure). If you choose this option, if you are a new customer, tickets must be booked at least two hours in advance so that they are available in time for the departure of your train. If you are a returning customer, you can book up to ten minutes before departure even if you choose the 'ticket on departure' option.
How to buy your Advance ticket
To find the cheapest Advance fares available simply enter your journey details into the ‘buy tickets’ search engine
If you can be flexible with your travel dates/times, our Best Fare Finder helps you find the cheapest Advance fares available.
You can receive your tickets by First Class post (please allow five working days for delivery) or collect your pre-paid tickets from ticket machines at participating stations.
Greater Anglia Advance tickets are also available as Print Your Own and Mobile tickets, so you don't need to wait for them to be posted or have to collect them at stations!
To ensure you are getting the best ticket, see our tips for getting the best deals on Advance tickets
This section also explains how to search for tickets at weekends if there is engineering work, when sometimes trains offering Advance tickets are not shown in the initial search results.
Over the phone
Booking tickets over the phone couldn’t be easier. Simply call the Greater Anglia Contact Centre on 0345 600 7245.
Via our app
You can now book tickets on one of our apps. Some routes where Advance tickets are available will also allow your ticket to be sent to your phone.
Advance tickets are non-refundable, unless for reasons such as a train cancellation or severe disruption but you can change the date and time of your booking. If you bought the ticket with us on our website or app and have a My Greater Anglia account, you can try doing this online or request this at our station ticket offices. From 7 September 2020, the £10 fee is reinstated.
If you’re having any trouble booking tickets visit our contact us page for further details on how to get in touch - our trained staff will always find the best ticket for you.
Please see Advance ticket terms and conditions