Part 1 - Use of your personal information: The basis on which your personal information that we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be stored and used by us.
Part 2 - Information about Cookies: Which cookie files we use, how these work and why we use them.
Part 1 – Use of Your Personal Information
Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd ("we", "us", or "our") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy (together with our terms and conditions and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
This policy applies to the website www.greateranglia.co.uk. The website www.greateranglia.co.uk (our site) is owned and operated by Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place, London, EC4M 7RD. Company Registration No. 06428369. By visiting www.greateranglia.co.uk you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller in respect of the website is Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd of 5 Fleet Place, London, EC4M 7RD.
Any changes we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this policy.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this policy are welcomed and should be emailed to our Customer Relations team via the "Contact Us" page on our site.
Information That We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
• Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.greateranglia.co.uk or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, search for tickets, order tickets on our site, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, country of residence, e-mail address, phone number and travel preference information.
• Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
• information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); tickets and/or journeys you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
• Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
2 Uses made of this Information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• Information you give to us. We will use this information:
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, tickets and services that you request from us;
• to provide you with information about other tickets, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
• to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about products or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the order form or registration form);
• to notify you about changes to our service;
• to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
• Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
• to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
• to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
• as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
• to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
• to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about products or services that may interest you or them.
• Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
3 Disclosure of Your Information
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
• Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
• Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
• If Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
4 Where We Store Your Personal Data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
5 Your Rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by writing to us at Abellio Greater Anglia Ltd, 5 Fleet Place, London EC4M 7RD.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
6 Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Part 2 – Cookies
We use two types of cookie on our website, those which are strictly necessary for the website to operate functionality such as the ticket booking and purchase. And third party cookies from Google which enable us to track website usage and measure how effective our marketing activity is.
So what is a cookie?
A "cookie" is a small text file that is placed on a user's computer hard drive by a website. There are several types of cookie and the most common are often referred to as 'session' cookies. These are used to keep track of information needed by a user as they travel from page to page within a website. These cookies have a short lifetime and expire within a few minutes of the user leaving the website.
Other types of cookies can be used to track internet activity after the user has left a website. These are usually sponsored by organisations external to the website being visited and are generally known as 'third-party' cookies. These usually have a long lifetime with several months being quite common. They are 'harvested' and 'refreshed' whenever the user visits a page where the same or a similar cookie is being used.
Cookies which are Strictly Necessary
We use the following cookies on this website.
• ASP.NET_SessionId - This is a session cookie and allows for the maintenance of the online basket.
• SecureToken – a session cookie used for the secure maintenance of a signed-in customer.
Third party cookies
We also use Google’s cookies for analytics and for conversion tracking.
The cookies set by Google are as follows:
This cookie is typically written to the browser upon the first visit to our site from that web browser. If the cookie has been deleted by the browser operator, and the browser subsequently visits your site, a new __utma cookie is written with a different unique ID. This cookie is used to determine unique visitors to our site and it is updated with each page view. Additionally, this cookie is provided with a unique ID that Google Analytics uses to ensure both the validity and accessibility of the cookie as an extra security measure. This cookie expires 2 years from set/update.
This cookie is used to establish and continue a user session on our site. When a user views a page on our site, the Google Analytics code attempts to update this cookie. If it does not find the cookie, a new one is written and a new session is established. Each time a user visits a different page on our site, this cookie is updated to expire in 30 minutes, thus continuing a single session for as long as user activity continues within 30-minute intervals. This cookie expires when a user pauses on a page on our site for longer than 30 minutes.
• Google Conversion tracking
The conversion tracking cookie is set on your browser only when you click an ad delivered by Google where the advertiser has opted in to conversion tracking. These cookies expire within 30 days and do not contain information that can identify you personally. If this cookie has not yet expired when you visit certain pages of the advertiser’s website, Google and the advertiser will be able to tell that you clicked the ad and proceeded to that page. Each advertiser gets a different cookie, so no cookie can be tracked across advertiser websites. If you want to disable conversion tracking cookies, you can set your browser to block cookies from the googleadservices.com domain.
• DoubleClick tracking
We use the Google DoubleClick cookie to allow us to implement Google Display Network impression reporting which reports display advertisement impressions, other uses of ad services and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services which are related to visits to www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk. We also have implemented Google Analytics Demographics and Interest reporting which reports 3rd-party audience data (such as anonymised age, gender and interests) within Google Analytics. You can manage how Google manages this information and "opt out" from data collection at Google Ads Preferences Manager.
Why do we need to use these cookies?
We use the information we obtain from our cookies for the following:
• Website usage and analytics
• To track your journey from page to page to enable the booking and payment process to function
• Tracking purchases to measure the effectiveness of search and marketing campaigns
Blocking and deleting
Internet browsers normally accept cookies by default; however, it is possible to set a browser to reject cookies. If this is done it is important not to exclude the benign and useful session cookies. Choose an option that rejects all third-party cookies.
Please note that this may impact on the usability of ours and other websites.
For some bookings we allow your ticket to be delivered to your Smartcard.
If you are using an existing Smartcard you must ensure that you correctly enter your Smartcard reference number - we cannot amend this after payment has occurred.
You must carry your Smartcard with you when you travel.
You must ensure that you validate your Smartcard at the start and end of your journey by using either the stand alone validators or ticket barriers as applicable.
Some train companies apply additional restrictions to the use of Smartcards - you must note any additional restrictions notified during the booking process.