Work will shortly commence to replace the lifts on platforms 1 and 2 at Chelmsford station.
Both lifts will be replaced, one after the other (not at the same time).
The lift on platform 2 will be replaced first. This work will begin 9 November 2023 and is due to be completed at the end of March 2024. The lift on platform 2 will be out of use during this time.
The lift on platform 1 will then be replaced, with work starting on 4 April 2024 and continuing until the end of August 2024. The lift on platform 1 will be out of use during this time. More details of alternative arrangements for this phase will be provided in due course.
What is being done?
Greater Anglia is upgrading both lifts at Chelmsford to improve reliability and the station access arrangements we provide for customers.
To minimise inconvenience to customers, we are currently putting in place measures to enable people with accessibility needs to continue to travel, including extra staff to assist passengers and the provision of accessible taxis where needed.
Why is this work needed?
Both lifts have reached the end of their life. They are more likely to break down because of their age and replacement parts are extremely hard to get hold of, which could result in the lifts being out of use for longer if they did break down. They therefore both need to be replaced with brand new models. It has not been possible to install a temporary stairlift because the existing stairwell is unable to accommodate one.
While we appreciate that this work may cause difficulties for some people in navigating the station, it is essential that it is done, and it will mean that the lifts will be more reliable in the future.
How will this affect my journey?
Alternative arrangements for work to replace the lift on platform 2 from 9 November 2023 – end of March 2024
Platform 2 is for trains towards Colchester, Ipswich, Norwich, Braintree, Sudbury, Harwich, Clacton-on-Sea
- If you can use the stairs, this work will not affect your journey.
- If you cannot use the stairs, have heavy luggage, a pushchair or a bike, there is step-free access to /from platform 2 via a road leading to the station car park (off Railway Street). This route is a 168 metre, or 3-minute walk (approx.) on an incline. We will have additional staff on hand to support those who may find this route difficult and require additional assistance. Below is a map showing the route marked in yellow. You can view a description of this step-free route here.
- If you are unable to use this route, an accessible taxi will be provided from the taxi rank to take you between the taxi rank and platform 2.
- For customers arriving at Platform 2, you can take the step-free route to exit the station. There will be staff available to help you or, if you are unable to use this route, an accessible taxi will be provided from the taxi rank to take you to the station entrance.
- We strongly recommend that you pre-book using our Passenger Assistance service if you would usually use the lift (you can book up to two hours before you travel). Letting us know that you are coming and what help you need in advance will help us to be ready to assist you and we can give you information in advance that will help you with your journey. You can book assistance by using the Passenger Assist apps, phoning 0800 028 2878 (free from landlines and mobiles), or Text Type: 18001 0800 028 2878, or use the webform.
- If you have booked assistance, please make your way to the meeting point agreed as part of your booking and make yourself known to a member of staff. We recommend you turn up at least 20 minutes before your departure.
- If you want to travel but haven’t booked your assistance, please approach a member of staff and we will do everything we can to help you with your onward journey. Please allow extra time for your journey.
- The lift on platform 1 will continue to operate during this time, so access and exit for platform 1 will not be affected.
We are sorry for any inconvenience, and we will do everything we can to help you during this period.
Alternative travel arrangements for work to replace the lift on platform 1 (from 4 April 2024 until the end of August 2024)
More information on alternative arrangements for this phase of the work will be provided in due course. This page will be updated.
Further help and information
If you would like further help and information, please contact Greater Anglia Customer Relations