Passenger information and alternative arrangements during work to upgrade the lift at Billericay station
Work is taking place to upgrade the lift on platform 1 at Billericay station. The upgrade project begins on Monday 2 October 2023 and is due to be completed before 30 April 2024. The lift will be out of use during this time.
If you usually use the lift, please note that this work will affect your journey as you will not be able to access or exit platform 1.
Alternative arrangements will be in place while the work is being carried out.
We are sorry for any inconvenience, and we will do everything we can to help you during this period. Please see below for more details.
What is being done?
Greater Anglia is upgrading the lift on platform 1 to improve reliability and the facilities we provide for customers.
The work will see the lift out of use from 2 October 2023 until before the end of April.
To minimise inconvenience to customers, we are currently putting in place measures to enable people with accessibility needs to continue to travel, including the provision of an accessible minibus and taxis, and extra staff to assist passengers.
Why is this work needed?
The lift has reached the end of its life. It is more likely to break down because of its age and replacement parts are extremely hard to get hold of, which could result in the lift being out of use for longer if it did break down. Therefore, it needs to be upgraded.
The existing lift must also be locked out of use during periods that the station is unstaffed. A new lift would have the potential to be available 24/7, improving our service to passengers.
It has not been possible to install a temporary stair lift to platform 1 because the existing stair width is not wide enough to accommodate a stairlift.
While we appreciate that this work may cause difficulties for some people in navigating the station, it is essential that it is done, and it will mean that the lift will be more reliable in the future.
How will this affect my journey?
If you are able to use the stairs comfortably, this work will not affect your journey.
However, if you have accessibility needs and / or have heavy luggage or a pushchair, which means that you normally use the lift to access or exit platform 1, then this work will affect your journey.
In that case our advice is as follows:
- We will provide alternative methods of transport, such as accessible minibuses and taxis, for anyone who will be unable to use the station while the work is being carried out. These will take you to the closest step-free station to allow you to make your journey. Please allow extra time for your journey. Further details are provided below.
- We strongly recommend that you pre-book using our Passenger Assist service if you would usually use the lift (you can book up to two hours before you travel). Letting us know that you are coming and what help you need in advance will help us to be ready to assist you and we can give you information in advance that will help you with your journey. You can book assistance by using the Passenger Assist by Transreport mobile apps, phoning 0800 028 2878 (free from landlines and mobiles), or Text Type: 18001 0800 028 2878, or use the webform. Visit this page for more details: https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/passenger-assist-and-ways-book-assistan….
- If you have booked assistance, please make your way to the meeting point agreed as part of your booking and make yourself known to a member of staff. We recommend you turn up at least 30 minutes before your departure.
- If you want to travel but haven’t booked your assistance, please approach a member of staff and we will do everything we can to help you with your onward journey. Please allow extra time for your journey.
Planning your journey
Please find below alternative arrangements for specific journeys, to help you plan your journey:
- For customers travelling from Billericay towards London who cannot access platform 1, an accessible minibus will be provided from 6am until 9pm to take you to Shenfield where there is lift access to all platforms. Outside of these hours, an accessible taxi will be provided. In the unlikely event of any problems with the lifts at Shenfield, customers will be taken to Wickford instead, where there is step-free access to the platform.
- Additional customer service staff will be available at Billericay from 6am until 9pm, 7 days a week, to help customers with heavy luggage, prams and pushchairs.
- Customers travelling to Billericay from stations between Southend Victoria / Wickford and Southminster / Wickford should travel to Shenfield (tickets will be valid) to board a Southend Victoria service back to Billericay where there is step-free exit from platform 2. Trains run every 20 minutes and the journey time is 6 minutes. Shenfield station is staffed 24 hours a day.
Further help and information
If you would like further help and information, please contact Greater Anglia Customer Relations:
- Email: [email protected]
- Tel: 0345 600 7245 (Option 8)